Sunday, March 3, 2019

Christensen Article

Reflection

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article and I felt like it was full of good points about the stereotypes in children's books, cartoons, and movies. I absolutely love Disney movies but when I watch them I always notice the stereotypes and sometimes it is really frustrating to watch. The movies place an emphasis on what women should or shouldn't do in order to be loved and saved by a man. I completely agree that growing up watching these movies does create a "secret education" in kid's minds, especially young girls. In the princess movies like the article discusses, the heroine waits for her prince to save her and they live happily ever after. These aren't realistic expectations and they aren't standards that we should set for relationships

However, I feel like Disney is doing a much better job at representation and coming up with plots where a man doesn't save the princess. Frozen is a great example of this. Anna desperately wants to marry Hans but Elsa doesn't allow it and says exactly what every person who has ever watched a Disney thinks, "you can't marry a man you just met." This quote in and of itself shows the strides that Disney is making with relationship stereotypes in the movie. Another amazing aspect of Frozen is that rather than a Prince saving Elsa, her sister does. This shows major growth and also shows young girls the importance of having powerful and loyal friends and family in your life and how they shouldn't just sit around and wait for a man to save them.

Image result for disney princess movies


I also agreed with Christensen when she discussed how this topic is hard for students to dissect because they don't want to believe that their childhood was so significantly impacted, and in some cases distorted, by the way different races, religions, and socioeconomic status' are portrayed in cute little books and movies they grew up watching. I truly felt this because at first I always wanted to believe that there was nothing wrong with Disney movies. I will always love Disney movies and I will probably never pass up an opportunity to watch them but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do our best to explain to young kids some of the flaws in the system that has been set up.

While I was reading this article I thought a lot about a link I saw on twitter a few days ago. It displayed the Disney princesses as educated, successful entrepreneurs doing things on their own. They had careers in various industries that related to their movies and I thought it was adorable and funny.Image result for buzzfeed princess careers

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen frozen, though I do like the song "Let it Go", but I know Brave is another Disney princess movie that doesn't end with the princess marrying a man. But most of the Disney princess movies does involve the girl being saved by and getting with the guy in some way. As a kid I never really focused on that aspect. I loved the movie Cinderella but I remember it for the songs and the funny animals. Especially the cat and mouse parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, first off I enjoyed the picture of the Disney princesses being portrayed in various careers. Second, I would to go off from where you had stated that You believe Disney is doing a good job at deterring away from the stereotypes that in order to "live happily ever after" you need to wait for a prince to come an save you. I agree with your statement and would like to provide another example to your "Frozen"one which would be the movie "Moana"> In case you're not familiar in the movie Moana goes off sailing to rescue her island from the darkness. In her journey she meets Maui a demigod that she believe she needed in order to saveher own but instead discovers all she needed was to believe and have faith in herself to save the island Of Montanua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of them all in a career taking charge! I agree with you and Disney movies. They are apart of me and I love them all including the classics. I am happier with how they are changing things for the newer generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about the movies and shows having stereotypes and I love how you have the picture of the woman taking charge! It shows that they don't need a man to save them or take charge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how the article pointed out the stereotypes because I have noticed them as I get older too. It breaks my heart a little that Disney is full of "secret education" to young children but I still love the movies.

    ReplyDelete